Thursday, September 30, 2010

A little coffee with your social media?

I loooooovvvveeeee Dunkin Donuts.

I really and truly do. I am not a coffee person but when I roll through that drive through and order a number one combo, medium coffee (french vanilla creamer and sugar) and a pink sprinkles donut, you can bet that my day is going to be a good one after I finish that scrumptious little donut.

In class we have been talking about how businesses are trying to get the word spread on facebook by having special competitions and promotions to users. Well, DD is no exception. I don't think you can even imagine how excited I was when I saw this advertisement.

The prize for winning this silly little video contest??
Taken straight from their facebook page:

One (1) Grand Prize:
  • A trip for two to Costa Rica, where you’ll visit a coffee farm and have some fun in the sun.
  • A trip for two to meet our Coffee Excellence Team, tour our Coffee Lab and learn how we brew the perfect cup at our headquarters near Boston, MA.
  • Sixty (60) months of free Dunkin’ Donuts Coffee delivered to your door.
  • And of course…bragging rights!

Ten (10) First Prize(s):

  • Twelve (12) months of free Dunkin’ Donuts Coffee delivered to your door

I'm really sorry if this sounds horrible to you. NOT!!! This contest rocks!!
All you have to do is submit a 60 second video of you at a DD location. Then people can vote for your video. Right there is a marketing ploy to not only encourage free advertising for DD but they also just politely tricked you into going into their shops for like the one billionth time. In addition to votes DD will rate you on creativity, video appeal, and overall DD passion. It started yesterday and it ends on October 30. So, that means I have exactly one month to get my video together and send it in. Here is a link if you would like to become my competition. But I have to warn you, I am in this one to win.

Dunkin Donuts Video Contest

5 comments:

  1. This sounds AWESOME!!! I really like this idea as a marketing tool because, like you said, they have to go into the stores and buy more product in order to convince the people voting on their video that they deserve to win. Are you really planning on entering this contest because if you are I would totally help you, that is if you share some of that prize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool! I think it was definitely smart for one of the rules to be that the video has to take place in one of their stores-honestly, who could walk in there and NOT get a donut? I'm pretty much a coffee addict and whenever I get it at the grocery store, I'll only buy the DD or Starbucks brands (because Folgers and Maxwell just suck). That is one heck of a grand prize. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this contest is a great idea. these type of contests allow these places to up business without pushing the customer. To the customer it seems as if it is their choice to enter the store and buy the product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really awesome. I really like the idea of businesses having contest to come up with actual adds, for their use. What I like about this contest is that most businesses give away some kind of vacation trip. What i like about Dunkin Donuts trip is that you win this awesome trip as well as learn more about the processes they go through in making their coffee. Which could be spread by word of mouth, and it even mentions it in the add "and of course bargain rights"

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea. It gives them free advertising and great use of word of mouth marketing. And the fact that you can get the coffee delivered to your door is pretty insane. They don't even offer delivery services do they?

    ReplyDelete