Sunday, September 26, 2010

Lady Gaga + Social Media = Political Influence?!?!

I love me some Bad Romance but I can honestly say that this above statement makes me very nervous. I don’t want some singer who wears lobsters as a hat having anything to do with my politics.  It’s just really weird.
But after I looked into it a little more, I started wondering why the other people weren’t wearing lobster hats and being more like her. Gaga knows whats up.


 
Earlier America was in a buzz about the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell (DADT) drama going on. Some people agree and some people don’t; your opinion doesn’t matter in this blog post. Please don’t share with me.
What I DO agree with is the extent to which Lady Gaga used her social media resources to get her voice out there and heard. She did a live speech, constant facebook notes dedicated just to resources regarding DADT and frequent twitter updates. Girlfriend wanted to be heard and she was!

Here is a link to her DADT speech if you want to watch it…
While I like celebrity twitters because it can squash some silly gossip going around, I was really impressed by the way Gaga used hers to highlight something she felt very strongly about. Kinda makes my recent status update about how excited I am for the newest episode of Gossip Girl seem a little silly. Just more proof that social media is everywhere and can really be used as a powerful expression of the user. Whether that’s politics or Chuck and Blair’s relationship.

3 comments:

  1. For some it probably seems unusual that people would listen to Lady Gaga, but for me, she's so recognizably different that people would listen to her. But her and politics... I don't know????

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I can't say that I am a Gaga fan I can appreciate her using her fame to pursue something that she is passionate about and that really does make a difference in the world. I can actually respect her now even though she is wearing a freakin' lobster on her head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let us hope that that freaking lobster is a fake and that some poor lobster didn't have to die to make that freaking weird head piece.

    ReplyDelete