Monday, September 20, 2010

My Manager is my Facebook Friend

I know I complained in the previous quote about how EVERYONE has a Facebook but now I want to rant a little bit about how EVERYONE, including my manager, is checking them out.

I have worked at Dillards upstairs in the Ladies department for over a year now. My first manager, Tammy, was pretty cool. We would chat and what not, but she wasn't really my buddy so we never got to be too social with each other. The woman who later replaced Tammy, my current manager now, Wendy is a whole different story. She is only about 6 years older than me, very fun, personable, and hip with the times. She also sent me a friend request on Facebook the same week she was promoted to be my manager.

At first I struggled with whether to add her or not. Do I really want my manager knowing when I'm going out to Entourage or when my day completely sucks? I could see the negative side to adding her but I didn't want to be rude and press ignore. Then have that super awkward question about why I didn't add her later.
I decided to go on ahead and add her. But I have to be very careful what I do put on there.

A girl who works in the juniors department downstairs once called in late.  Her manager is also her friend on Facebook. While the reason she called in was because of traffic coming back from her parents house in Clarksville, her manager announced to everyone that she would be late probably because she was partying too hard the night before. Why would he say that? Her Facebook status was something along the lines of how much fun she was having in Nashville with all her girls. It could be a party status, but it also makes sense that she was maybe just hanging out at her mom's house with some high school friends, which she was.
While I think it was inappropriate for the manager to say anything at all, I still think he may not have been completely out of line. She accepted his friend request on Facebook, so technically it is public property right?

The whole moral to this is be very careful what you put on Facebook. Managers and potential employers are on these things and while you would think they would separate personal from work it still does not guarantee that they can't use it against you later or pass judgment.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. his is a dilemma that will keep growing as everyone, including your grandmother, gets on Facebook. I struggle with adding students that I have in class currently, as well as Department heads, and so forth. My life is pretty tame, so I don't exactly have anything to worry about, but if I do vent about something a student said that annoyed me, the last thing I need is to have that student as my Facebook friend!

    I think students now especially struggle with parents getting on Facebook--I don't know if I would have wanted my father following everything I was doing at college...but from what I understand, people older than 55 are the fastest growing Facebook crowd...and really, how can you deny a friend request from your mother?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats insane!! The same thing happened to me. I ended up blocking everyone that I worked with because they got me into trouble. It seems like you can't trust anyone anymore. I have several of my family members as friends, but I make sure to block them from seeing and posting on my wall which includes my status. So far that has worked the best for me.

    ReplyDelete