Thursday, September 9, 2010

A MOVIE?? Really?

Everyone uses facebook these days. And I don't think that is a generalization of the public either. You see my mom, aunt, cousins, brother, stepsister, and grandmother all have one. Whats worse is someone once suggested to me that I create a profile for my cat, Annie. I politely declined, I'm not that crazy...yet.  (I did think about it. She is really cute and I bet you would want to add her as a friend.)

But, even though facebook has taken over our lives and everyone and their mother has one, I was still pretty shocked when I found out there is a movie coming out about it. Not a history channel documentary, an actual motion picture sit-in-the-theater-and-eat-popcorn movie. What is going on here?

The Social Network

Its all about Mark Zuckerberg whose Harvard education clearly paid off the night he sat in his dorm and created this billion dollar social crutch. Watch this trailer please so you know what I am talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgSa2tghPaA

Am I going to see this movie? Yup. Is it going to be very good? Not likely considering Justin Timberlake is pretending to act in it. But as a whole, why wouldn't anyone want to see it? This little stalker website has taken over the freetime of so many people in the world, aren't you a little curious about how it all started out?

The whole thing from a marketing stand point is kinda clever. What is better advertisment than a movie? I'm sure brands are lining up to get their ads on facebook and in the previews before this movie comes out. Not to mention the media coverage and overall PR facebook is going to get from this. Good movie/Bad movie?  It is still going to be in the news and probably on People Magazine.

Still the idea that one website, which has already won the hearts of procrastinators everywhere, is now crossing into the movie theater is a little freaky for me. I almost want to scream "stop changing! Just be a website!" However, I am addicted to facebook so you can bet your farmville chickens that I will be in that theater watching this movie when it comes out October 1st. Don't worry I'll update my status and tell you how it is after.

1 comment:

  1. You've got a great writing style! I was entertained and although my love of Facebook knows no bounds, I might just let you fill me in on the movie...

    ReplyDelete